libxml usage

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Fri Jun 9 10:35:58 EDT 2006

Daniel and Assefa would need to comment on the actual implementation
details of using libxml, but on IRC around the time of the SOS RFC,
Sean and I suggested the use of an xml library for OxS output instead
of using what we derogatorily call "libprintfxml" for this reason.
The OGC services code is currently kind of hairy and scary to jump
into, especially if you're looking to fix a little output thing or
small logic bug here or there.  The use of something like libxml
distills things down a little further and affords some additional
flexibility that we might not have had without some additional heavy
lifting.

I'd be interested in hearing Assefa's and Daniel's experience with
libxml for the SOS development and how enthusiastic they might be
about incrementally reworking other areas of the OxS code with it.
I'd imagine it would be a somewhat long process, coinciding with
revisions to OGC specs to justify the investment, but I am optimistic
that the long term benefits would be there.

Howard