Mapscript installation

Damiano Damiano vdam73 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 7 05:14:42 EST 2006

Hello I've this problem in Mapscript installation.

Environment
Linux RedHat ES 3.0 with Apache and PHP already
installed and some other thirdy parties web
applications.

Question
Does the library installation of php_mapscript.so
absolutely require settings of the two environment
variables: extension_dir and ld_library_path?
Does exist another way that allows the use of
php_mapscript.so without those settings?

Ties
We are obliged to use Apache and PHP already installed
on the server.
We cannot create another user or another instance of
Apache Server.
It is not possible to modify those environment
variables because the other applications could not be
working correctly.

Thank's in advance,
Damiano Vellucci