RFC 16: MapScript WxS Services

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 12 10:04:36 EDT 2006

Frank,

The idea is highly appreciated, this change could give a great solution in
this missing area.

Most of the proposal is acceptable, even the gdBuffer stuff is fairly
straightforward. (The name seems to be obsolete a bit, but it is not a
problem for now).

But the IO hooking part of the proposal seems to be painful and may result
in a level of thread and host process affinity for the mapscript interface.

In my opinion instead of forcing the cgi style stdout technology, we should
replace msIO_printf-s with the couterparts having the result as an out
parameter. For example we should have msIO_sprintf, msIO_strcat etc.
cgiRequestObj might have an additional member holding the accumulated result
value.

I'm not sure if the thread local stdio could be implemented easily.

Tamas

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Developers List [mailto:MAPSERVER-DEV at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Frank Warmerdam
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 5:45 AM
To: MAPSERVER-DEV at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: RFC 16: MapScript WxS Services

Folks,

I have a first version of the proposal for WxS MapScript Services available
at:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-16-mapscript-wxs-service

This isn't a call for votes, just for discussion.  The RFC covers:

  o Slight extensions to OWSRequest so it can be used to parse arguments
    from cgi environment arguments (aka call loadParams()).

  o Exposing OWSDispatch() to process OWS requests (WMS, WFS, WCS, etc) on
    a map.

  o Exposing a bunch a of "msIO" functions so scripts can capture stdout
    output from OWSDispatch or anything else that writes through msIO.

The intention is that my work would cover their use in all the SWIG
generated
mapscript languages.  Additional work would be required to implement in PHP
but presumably roughly matching what we have.  I have already roughly
implemented the proposal and tested in Python and Perl with good success.

warmerdam at pobox.com