RFC 17: Dynamic Array Sizing

Ned Harding nharding at EXTENDTHEREACH.COM
Fri May 12 15:52:13 EDT 2006

Is there any reason not to just use C++?  It would make stuff like this
trivial to do.  MapServer already basically requires OGR which is C++,
I'd be surprised if its compiled anywhere without a C++ compiler.

And presuming that idea gets shot down, your RFC mentions growing stuff
1 object at a time.  I've already fixed 1 bug like that in MapServer,
because when you have LOTS of objects that kills memory allocators and
performance.  Growth should happen by a percentage so it doesn't have to
happen too often.  I would recommend growing by at least 25% and double
every time rarely seems like a mistake.

Just my 2 cents,

Ned.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Developers List [mailto:MAPSERVER-DEV at LISTS.UMN.EDU]
On Behalf Of Frank Warmerdam
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 12:48 PM
To: MAPSERVER-DEV at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-DEV] RFC 17: Dynamic Array Sizing

Folks,

There was yet another request for a mapserver compiled with larger sizes
for one of the MS_MAX* macros on #mapserver today, and it drove me over
the edge!  I flipped out!

The result is RFC 17.  I propose to spend a day overhauling MapServer to
use dynamic sizing for all the important "limits" (symbols, layers,
classes and styles).

   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-17

While it is open to discussion and ammendment, I'll accept votes even
now.

I won't actually implement it till after I'm done the RFC 16 work.

I'm going RFC crazy!

I furthermore unofficially propose the next version be called MapServer
5.0, code named "Dynamic Dodger" in honour of the alliterative Ubuntu
code names (ie. Breezy Badger, Dapper Duck).

Best regards
warmerdam at pobox.com
and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGF,
http://osgeo.org