RFC 17: Dynamic Array Sizing

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sun May 14 19:34:58 EDT 2006

Umberto Nicoletti wrote:
> As promised here are a couple of links to get and idea of what apr can do:
>
> http://dev.ariel-networks.com/apr/apr-tutorial/html/apr-tutorial.html
> http://www.apachetutor.org/dev/#general
>
> some pr stuff here:
>
> http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/04/27/gift_to_c/
>
> Best regards,
> Umberto
>
> On 5/13/06, Umberto Nicoletti <umberto.nicoletti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Frank,
>> have you considered using apr (Apache Portable Runtime)? It does this
>> and many other things (including connection pooling) and apache
>> (albeit this is part apache2) is already a requirement for mapserver.
>> I will also check to see if they have atof or similar functions so
>> that (maybe?) we can solve tamas' issue with locales.
>>
>> I will dig out a couple of howtos from my rss feeds and send you the
>> links asap.
>> The home page for apr is at: apr.apache.org.

Umberto,

I am not personally in favor of adding new base dependencies for MapServer,
such as APR though the idea has certainly been raised in the past.  I
would add that Apache is *not* a requirement of MapServer.  It is also
used on IIS and in contexts without a web server, though this is no barrier
to using APR with mapserver.

If you want to propose use of APR, you will need to write up an RFC.  I
think it would be relatively straight forward to re-engineer MapServer
to use APR services for stuff like mutexes and perhaps it would help
us with thread local data as well.  I'm a bit leery about trying to insert
it's connection pooling into MapServer but perhaps you could explain why
that would be worthwhile.