RFC 17: Dynamic Array Sizing

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 15 02:33:07 EDT 2006

On 5/15/06, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Umberto Nicoletti wrote:
> > As promised here are a couple of links to get and idea of what apr can do:
> >
> > http://dev.ariel-networks.com/apr/apr-tutorial/html/apr-tutorial.html
> > http://www.apachetutor.org/dev/#general
> >
> > some pr stuff here:
> >
> > http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/04/27/gift_to_c/
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Umberto
> >
> > On 5/13/06, Umberto Nicoletti <umberto.nicoletti at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Frank,
> >> have you considered using apr (Apache Portable Runtime)? It does this
> >> and many other things (including connection pooling) and apache
> >> (albeit this is part apache2) is already a requirement for mapserver.
> >> I will also check to see if they have atof or similar functions so
> >> that (maybe?) we can solve tamas' issue with locales.
> >>
> >> I will dig out a couple of howtos from my rss feeds and send you the
> >> links asap.
> >> The home page for apr is at: apr.apache.org.
>
> Umberto,
>
> I am not personally in favor of adding new base dependencies for MapServer,
> such as APR though the idea has certainly been raised in the past.  I
> would add that Apache is *not* a requirement of MapServer.  It is also
> used on IIS and in contexts without a web server, though this is no barrier
> to using APR with mapserver.

OK, this is correct.

> If you want to propose use of APR, you will need to write up an RFC.  I
> think it would be relatively straight forward to re-engineer MapServer
> to use APR services for stuff like mutexes and perhaps it would help
> us with thread local data as well.

I have proposed apr just to avoid yet another reimplementation of
dynamic arrays. This would maybe save time and apr seems to be good
for other things too, like you have suggested. I don't think I need to
write another rfc, we could all agree on using apr for dynamic arrays
as that is the subject of rfc17 and then write other rfcs for
re-engineering other bits of mapserver to use the APR apis.

<dreaming>
We could even make mapserver an apache module and get a super fast
mapserver interface.
</dreamin>

Just my 2 cents,
Umberto