RFC 17: Dynamic Array Sizing

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon May 15 09:18:37 EDT 2006

Ned Harding wrote:
>>   layerObj **layers;
>>   int numlayers; /* number of layers in mapfile */
>>   int maxlayers;
>
> Hey Frank,
>
> One request...  If you are going to change the meaning of the var layers
> or other similar vars, can you change the name?  ppLayers or something,
> frankly anything, so its made obvious to other code that links with it?

Ned,

Currently SWIG generated bindings allow script to access a layer as
map->layers[0].name.  This would continue to work even if the layers
became an array of pointers.  So I changing the name of layers would
essentially break all existing mapscript applications and for that reason
I think this change is a non-starter.

I would add we aren't in the habit of using hungarian style prefixes in
mapserver and I'm not that keen on introducing them widely.