New bug owner for mapscript needed

Tue May 30 13:56:41 EDT 2006

Hey Sean: Man, I take off 1 day and there's all sorts of news.

First off congratulations on the new job. (Please fill us in if you feel comfortable
doing so.) Change is always exciting and I wish you nothing but the best. You have
contributed a great deal to MapServer and we are all appreciative. I'm sorry you
feel some of your initiatives didn't accomplish all you'd hoped. They did have positive
impact on the project and I hope to see them continue to mature or evolve
assuming there is interest.

As for Bugzilla, I have taken ownership of the two components assigned to you
so you are free of that responsibility, although I probably need to change individual
bugs as well. In the future I personally would like to see language specific binding
components with one overall Swig/MapScript component. Looks like we have
volunteers for C#, Perl (me) and Java, and just need a Python guru.

Like Frank I see no reason why you cannot continue to have commit rights

Steve

>>> Sean Gillies <sgillies at FRII.COM> 5/26/2006 11:15:39 AM >>>
Hey all,

I've got a brand new gig starting in June that, while geospatial in
nature, won't be making much direct use of MapServer, and won't allow
me much time to respond to mapscript bugs. My time as owner of the
SWIG mapscript Bugzilla component is done. Maybe you'll want to
reassign to one person, or split it up by language, that's up to you.

And since I don't foresee making many more big contributions to
MapServer, I will resign my seat on the TSC as well, effective June
12. I'd like to retain commit privilege in order to make the odd bug
fix here and there, but that's about the extent of my future
involvement. I won't be supporting the Python test framework, or the
mapscript.txt doc. To me, these are failed efforts, and the search
should begin for something better.

I'll stick around for Bugzilla through the end of June, so that a new
component owner can be found, and I will of course be happy to assist
that person or persons in taking over.

cheers,
Sean

---