building and testing options

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Tue Nov 7 15:17:26 EST 2006

Hi,

Im writing mapowscommon.c, I've come across some issues to which some
advisory would be appreciated.

1./ I usually compile C code with:

(on Linux)

$ gcc -ansi -pedantic -Wall -O foo.c

MapServer has -Wall and -O2 already as part of the build process.  Would
the other flags be useful for MapServer?  I use them because they
support C ISO.  See `man gcc` for more info.

2./

Should we be doing some sort of structured memory debugging?  For
example, do people use tools like valgrind when building?  If not,
should we (presumably against a few use cases for the code)?

Thanks

..Tom