MapServer and GPL dependencies...

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Wed Nov 8 08:57:19 EST 2006

It's unfortunate that they didn't go LGPL...  I'm not a licensing
zealot, but it might be a problem for some folks using MapServer.  I
suppose our transition to AGG would be gradual and people might
initially have the option of not using AGG.  I'm concerned, however,
that having parallel renderers, with one being functionally and
qualitatively much better than the other will cause all of the
development momentum to move toward AGG.  If that happens over the
course of a couple of releases, do we effectively limit our licensing
and deployment to GPL?

Howard