Bug 1957, a solution... (sort of)

Tue Nov 14 12:36:25 EST 2006

Thanks Peter, I'll check that out. As an aside I contacted John Ellson
the author of
the Freetype support in GD. He too is frustrated, and has submitted
patches that
have gone unapplied. He has a GD tree in his Graphviz package
(http://www.graphviz.org/)
that has his modifications. Yuck, that's 3 versions out there. Put them
together and
it's probably pretty good.

I'll try contacting Thomas Boutell again...

Steve

>>> Peter Slootweg <pasconsult at TELUS.NET> 11/13/2006 8:49:09 PM >>>
I am not sure if you are aware of this thread but it looks like gd is
in
the process of being transferred to php - although it looks like a very

slow transfer.

http://groups.google.ca/group/mailing.www.php-dev/browse_frm/thread/353d2411f77049f1/ad416ef2d52739aa?lnk=st&q=&rnum=2&hl=en#ad416ef2d52739aa

look at the message from pierre in the thread and he seems to indicate

2.0.34 is in the works - not sure what it includes though.

There is also this thread from back in April where the move was
initiated
http://groups.google.ca/group/mailing.www.php-dev/browse_frm/thread/f30cd25624b4e8cb/32cb3ee417d0b5ab?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#32cb3ee417d0b5ab

Steve Lime wrote:
> There hasn't been a new version of GD in two years and no indication
> that one is planned soon. I believe the Autodesk folks had submitted
all
> of their changes to the GD authors. The last contact I had with the
GD
> guys was related to the serious bounds checking error they have with
> antialiased rendering. At that time he indicated a new version was
in
> the
> works but never answered follow-up emails inquiring about timing,
access
> to beta versions and so forth. That was 6 to 9 months ago.
>
> Steve

> Perhaps more back-story is required... why isn't the change just
> going into vanilla GD?

> On 12-Nov-06, at 9:27 PM, Steve Lime wrote:
>

>> Hi all: I've been putzing around with bug 1957 testing. It's a
problem
>> with GD where it's clipping too soon with brushed lines which
leaves
>> artifacts along image edges. The wider the line the more obvious
the
>> artifact. Plays havoc when tiling. Anyway, on a whim I installed
the
>> version of GD that Autodesk updated as part of MapGuide figuring
they
>> must have seen this behavior. They did and that code works great,
no
>> artifacts.
>>
>> So, what to do next? I don't want to have to fix GD yet again and I

>> know
>> Bob and Gary had always intended to contribute their GD
modifications
>> back to that project. I'm wondering about the possiblity of de-
>> coupling
>> the Autodesk version of GD from MapGuide for a broader
distribution-