Hide tileindex layer

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Nov 16 02:43:37 EST 2006

Denis Nadeau wrote:
> Following Bug 1952,
>
> I volunteer to write a patch that allows users to specify if a layer is
> visible or not.
> I have planed to add the following metadata:
>
> ows_service <wms || wcs || wfs || none >
>
> This metadata would allow to control the layers showed in a Get
> Capability.  If a developer want to show a layer in wcs only,
> ows_service could be set to wcs.
> For Tileindex layers, developer could set ows_service to none and a Get
> Capability request would not show this layer.
>
> If no "ows_service" metadata is defined, mapserver would produce the
> same Get Capability result shown in the current release, 4.10.

Denis,

I like this approach.  Don't forget SOS, our fourth OWS service.

For services like WCS that currently have other rules, I think you
should produce a mapserver error if the service is listed in the
ows_service metadata but the layer is not enabled for other reasons.

For instance we already have:

/************************************************************************/
/*                       msWCSIsLayerSupported()                        */
/************************************************************************/

static int msWCSIsLayerSupported(layerObj *layer)
{
     /* only raster layers, with 'DUMP TRUE' explicitly defined, are elligible
to be served via WCS, WMS rasters are not ok */
     if(layer->dump && (layer->type == MS_LAYER_RASTER) &&
layer->connectiontype != MS_WMS) return MS_TRUE;

     return MS_FALSE;
}

I think if the wcs service is listed but the layer is not a raster layer,
or does not have DUMP TRUE set, then an error should be emitted explaining
the problem.

I also think there should be an "all" option indicating that a layer
should be made visible to all *applicable* services.

Making sure thre is an msWxSIsLayerSupported() method for each of the
services might be a good idea.  I'm not sure this sort of thing exists
for all the services.