Revised RFC 1 - Need Comments

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Oct 11 15:41:29 EDT 2006

Howard Butler wrote:
> I am also uncomfortable with the TSC anointing itself as the PSC.  I
> propose that ratification of the new RFC 1 (or 20) and PSC come from the
> community via non-anonymous poll like we did for RFC 10 (Join OSGeo).
> After ratification, the community nominates folks that it wants for the
> 2 open community seats and votes them in via the same process.

Howard,

I agree.

> What about the concept of terms?  I think to have it truly represent the
> project, the community must have the ability at some point to swap out
> members of the PSC (not just having the PSC swap its own members in and
> out).  The RFC talks about inactivity, which is probably the most common
> reason why someone would be replaced.  I would propose that the term for
> all PSC seats be 2 years or 2 releases, whichever is shorter.  Five
> technical seats and four community seats (as currently proposed).  To be
> eligible for a technical seat, you would have to be a CVS committer.  No
> special qualifications for a community seat.  After your term is up, the
> community yay or nays you for another term.  We would need more details
> of how this might actually work.  Is this a bad idea?

I think this adds unnecessary voting overhead for little value.  Amoung other
things, it means we need to more carefully define who is considered a
community member and gets to vote - if we are doing binding votes on a
long term basis.  The rationale (in my mind) for a poll on RFC-20's
formation of the PSC is to just verify that this move has community support.

Just my opinion of course.

I guess I have been sucked into this whole self-perpetuating-cabal idea. :-)