Revised RFC 1 - Need Comments

Fri Oct 13 12:44:03 EDT 2006

Howard Butler wrote:
> At 12:27 PM 10/12/2006, Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> I'm not too keen on the 2 year term either. My main concern is that
>> continuity is important for the direction of a project to remain
>> consistent. If over a couple of election cycles most of the PSC ends
>> up being replaced then you lose all track of the historical background
>> and nobody will know the reasons why things were done one way or
>> another and you end up with the new PSC members making decisions that
>> may be contrary to the original design goals.
>
> I don't think anyone expects that scenario to play out.  It isn't in the
> community's best interest to have that happen.  Also, not being on the
> PSC doesn't mean you can't still be a developer, or answer questions on
> the maillist, write documentation, or file well-detailed bugs in
> bugzilla... it is merely your punishment for doing those things so much :)
>
> My idea with the term is that it gives the community an opportunity to
> *ensure* continuity by packing the PSC with members that reflect its
> goals, development ideas, and design philosophy.  In my opinion, this
> works both ways -- people are here because the project already reflects
> those things.
>

>> Is it any good for MapServer if Steve is not re-elected on the PSC
>> when his term is up, or for GDAL if Frank is not re-elected on the
>> GDAL PSC if that PSC was setup to work this way?
>>
>> Why would Frank or Steve not be re-elected you ask? With an open
>> community vote, what would prevent a large group (or even an
>> unfriendly proprietary corporation) from filing a bunch of
>> non-anonimous votes and taking over the PSC over a couple of election
>> cycles?
>
> I think the community would react rather poorly to a hostile takeover.
> It's open source software, and the fork alternative is always out
> there.  It's messy, but this scenario has played out a number of times
> in a number of (smaller, generally) projects.  The project always has
> that risk, no matter which governance model is chosen, and that's the
> number one driving factor in keeping open source projects honest.
>

>> I guess I'm with Frank and have a preference for the
>> self-perpetuating-cabal.
>
> I have a preference for the MapServer community perpetuating the cabal.
>
> Howard

Howard, Well said. This expresses what I was feeling also. If some
members views don't align with the community then maybe that is a good
indicator that they should go separate ways. I would have faith in the
community to keep those that meet their needs in a position to continue
doing that.

-SteveW