Revised RFC 1 - Need Comments

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Oct 13 13:43:44 EDT 2006

Howard Butler wrote:
>> Is it any good for MapServer if Steve is not re-elected on the PSC
>> when his term is up, or for GDAL if Frank is not re-elected on the
>> GDAL PSC if that PSC was setup to work this way?
>>
>> Why would Frank or Steve not be re-elected you ask? With an open
>> community vote, what would prevent a large group (or even an
>> unfriendly proprietary corporation) from filing a bunch of
>> non-anonimous votes and taking over the PSC over a couple of election
>> cycles?
>
> I think the community would react rather poorly to a hostile takeover.

Howard,

The point is that without a reasonably strict concept of who counts as
community there is a risk of takeover.  This could also easily happen
innocently.  Perhaps a big wave of openlayers enthusiasts join and end
up installing a PSC that refocuses only on supporting openlayers.

I will say, my main objection is that it is extra overhead remembering
when folks terms are up, arranging community voting, etc.  But even at
that I don't mind community voting for PSC members if the chair is willing
to administer all the required stuff, and we have some sort of meaningful
idea of what a community member is.  It just seems ... unnecessary.