abstraction of mapogcsos.c common ogc bits

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Wed Oct 18 12:59:32 EDT 2006

I would prefer to keep this separate from mapows.c for now.
mapowscommon.c would be a straight implementation of the OWS Common
spec, whereas mapows.c has bits which are not necessarily OWS
Common-sih, but important to MapServer.

> > This file would be a set of routines to cover the OWS Common
> > Specification, and return XML objects which adhere to OWS Common.
> >
> > The one immediate issue I would see is how these routines return
> > objects.
> >
> > With the exception of SOS, all of the other code for OGC XML is
> > returned as some sort of msIO_printf.  SOS uses libxml2 to
> make things happen.
> >
> > Maybe Assefa/others can provide comments on using libxml2
> compared to
> > msIO_printf for XML.  If it were up to me, I'd go with doing things
> > the
> > libxml2 way, as msIO_printf can be quite error prone for XML output
> > and well formedness.  This would of course mean that any future
> > development of OGC stuff in MapServer would be best to
> align with the
> > libxml2 way of doing things.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the implications of this.  Would
> this imply that WMS server support in the short term would
> depend on libxml2 just for a shared exception function?  Or
> is this really just about pushing other services to use
> libxml2 in the future?

The latter.  I wouldn't expect any existing code to have to be ported.

> I'm ok with migrating to libxml2 but it will add a new
> dependency for the commonly used services and so I'd rather
> not depend on it for WMS/WFS/WCS until such time as we make a
> serious migration to it.  That is I don't want to add a
> libxml2 dependency but only use it for a one or two little
> things.  Does that make any sense?

Exactly.  I think it will add dependency only once serious migration is
taken by the MapServer OGC code.  Having said this, migration would be
easier once something like mapowscommon.c exists.