MS RFC 22: Data adapter support (void of interest?)

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 27 12:57:38 EDT 2006

On 10/26/06, Tamas Szekeres <szekerest at gmail.com> wrote:
> Developers,
>
> I can see that not too much people are interested in the issues of the
> long running processes and therefore this RFC could not reach that
> level of discussion to be eligible to call for a vote on it. The
> primary aim of this RFC was to establish a connection point where the
> feature cache implementation could have been integrated into mapserver
> in a loosely coupled manner. I wanted to generalize this solution for
> being usable to solve other issues (if any) related to the data
> providers of layers.
>
> Since I cannot see even a mild support about the objectives of this
> RFC (except for SteveW in general) neither a compelling alternative
> solution was suggested I guess it would be reasonable not to spare
> more efforts on this issue and revoke the RFC accordingly.
>
> It would be helpful to get some confirmation or denial about what
> should I have to do so as not to keep this task open in my timeline.

Before voting I would like to get an idea of how caching is going to
be implemented: what software, what model and for what data sources
(shapefiles, postgis, oracle, raster,ecc).

Until that is not clear I'd rather focus on improving memory
management in mapscript.

Umberto