New style mapscript test

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Fri Aug 10 11:24:29 EDT 2007

Hi all,

On 1 May, I added Python mapscript tests of loading map objects from
mapfile strings. Yesterday Howard expressed his concern that the doctest
style of the new test makes the already uncomfortable Python testing
framework worse. I disagree. I think that the new doctest:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/trunk/mapserver/mapscript/python/tests/fragments.txt

is far more readable than the previous tests and also serves as a
convenient usage example. Furthermore, this test can be easily
incorporated into the existing framework, and can be run with every
other test with a single command. This particular docfile can't be
interpreted by Python 2.3, but I do not think that is a serious
consideration for MapServer 5.0.

If you're interested in mapscript testing, check it out and let me know
what you think.

Cheers,
Sean