[Fwd: [AGG] Forking Vector-Agg?]

Tue Aug 14 22:11:29 EDT 2007

FYI. many of you might not be on the AGG list and this seems like we
might want to get our 2 cents into it also.

-Steve W

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [AGG] Forking Vector-Agg?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 02:07:20 +0000
From: Ar18 at comcast.net
To: vector-agg-general at lists.sourceforge.net

It seems a number of people rely on AGG for various uses, including
other free source projects.  If the licensing issues cannot be resolved,
perhaps a free source version of AGG can be developed elsewhere, perhaps
taking in contributions from the many people who are using it now?

I am aware of two free source projects that use AGG
Haiku - a desktop Operating System (haiku.com): will be forking the code
for future use.
Haiku is MIT licensed or similar free licenses (BSD, MIT, public domain)
Matplotlib - Python library for graphics
(http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/): will continue with 2.4 for now
Matplotlib is almost MIT licensed

Couple that with other projects (including commercial ones) that use
AGG, maybe setting up a separate place for the development of the free
source version might be useful?  It's just an idea.  I would suspect
that Haiku has the largest stake in/need for AGG, and since they are
planning to fork it, maybe that would be a good place to start.

If the license can't be resolved, I don't suppose you all would consider
this option?