agg changes

Sun Aug 26 22:37:20 EDT 2007

thomas bonfort wrote:
> hi devs,
> I've commited a few changes to the agg rendering logic, which greatly
> increase performance when drawing many shapes. what's changed is that
> the imageObj now holds a pointer to the rendering object and all it's
> dependencies, instead of recreating them nearly from scratch each time a
> shape is drawn.
> on the "ntdb_roads_50" from a recent osgeo-discuss post
> before: 1.1seconds
> after: 0.5 seconds
>
> this is still much more than what gd does, but getting closer (that
> particular test file is probably a worst case scenario when comparing
> rendering times: many tiny line segments that just show up as a pixel
> with gd, but all have to be antialiased in agg)
>
> all this to say that I don't think there should be much breakage arising
> from this, but I'd appreciate if all of you who are set up to test agg
> could give the new version a run and report if anything weird is happening.
>
> thanks,
> thomas

Thomas,

This is built with SVN revision 6709.

http://imaptools.com/cgi-bin/mapserv-4.99?mode=map&map=/u/data/test/spiral.map
http://imaptools.com/maps/compare-maps2.php?loc=1&ll=42.61935+-71.38918&address=&city=le+paso&state=tx&zipcode=&country=&asrv=1&amf=%2Fu%2Fdata%2Fmaps%2Fgoogle-aa2.map&msa=mapserv-4.10&bsrv=1&bmf=%2Fu%2Fdata%2Fmaps%2Fgoogle-agg.map&msb=mapserv-4.99&submit=Show

I noticed that the endcaps of fat lines used to be rounded like GD, but
now it abruptly ends. look at the ends of the test spiral and the roads
on the bottom of the side by side comparison.

Also, You meantioned a while back that some or all of the cartoline
endcap styles worked with AGG, could you review for me and the doc team
what the keywords are and how to include them in the AGG layer definition.

Thanks,
   -Steve W