Error for unsupported services is confusing (bug 2025)

Mon Feb 12 13:08:44 EST 2007

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:

>> Perhaps the best compromise would be to add a test at the end of
>> msOWSDispatch() to return a meaningful error message if a
>> known service name was requested but the request was not
>> handled by any of the dispatch functions (i.e. likely because
>> the specified service was not compiled in). If service
>> contained any other value (not a recognized service name)
>> then msOWSDispatch() would return normally and let the
>> traditional CGI code kick in.
>>

> But, if service == not a recognized service name, shouldn't an OGC
> exception be returned in lieu of CGI mode kicking in?  The fact that
> service=foo was passed (IMHO) would mean that the client is in an OGC
> mode of some sort.

That's also an option and if the keyword was OWSSERVICE or something
OGC-specific I would have no problem with that, but since SERVICE is a
very generic keyword I'm not sure if it's okay to assume that any
request with SERVICE in it is an OWS request. At a minimum we'd need to
document in the mapserv CGI docs that mapserv CGI templates cannot
contain form fields called SERVICE as this would conflict with the OWS
support in MapServer.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/