32 Bit wide Shapeindex

Torsten Weber TWeber at TRAFFIC-CONSULT.DE
Mon Feb 19 04:11:30 EST 2007

Hi list members,

don't know if this problem is adressed right but hopefully it is.

We run up on a little problem while getting data from an oracle database.
The Problem occured by getting attribute data for some Objects (querying).
Rendering works fine.

Environment:
SuSE Linux 10.2 AMD64
Mapserver 4.10.0 (php) (Patch described by Benedikt Rothe in Bug #1961
allready applied)
Oracle XE
Mapfile with about 120 Layers (mostly oracle)

While tracking down the problem we found, that the indices used to identify
the shapes in our database run out of the 32 bit boundary but the mapserver
uses a long variable to store the shapeindex.

We have less than 2^32 datasets (shapes) but the id is build by an other
application and there is no way to us to control the machanism.

At first we would add an additional sequence column to the concerned tables to
get a workaround.

This problem isn't limited to oracle and/or php but we don't know if other
users are affected by this.
But we think it could be meaningfull to add 64 bit capabiliies (specially for
shapeindices) to mapserver.

Best regards

Torsten Weber