Access Control in MapServer

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Wed Jan 17 16:48:32 EST 2007

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> We are working on a proposal that, if it is accepted, would lead to the
> addition of access control in MapServer. More specifically, we need to
> provide the ability for MapServer to control which data layers, shapes
> or attributes can be accessed by a given authenticated user. This would
> be mostly useful when accessing data through OGC interfaces (WMS, WFS,
> WCS and SOS), but if possible we should look at how this can also apply
> in the regular CGI mode.
>
> Here are some example of access control rules that might become
> available through this for a given authenticated user:
>
> 1- Layer-level restrictions:
>    - GetCapabilities and other OGC Web Service (OWS) operations would
>      filter the list of available layers based on the privileges of
>      the authenticated user.
>
> 2- BBOX-baed restrictions:
>    - Restrict users to a bbox which is a subset of the extents of a
>      whole map or of given layers
>
> 3- Geometry-based restrictions:
>    - Restrict users to access features that intersect with a given
>      polygon
>
> 4- Shape-level restrictions:
>     - Restrict users to shapes that match a given attribute expression
>
> 5- Attribute restrictions:
>     - Restrict the list of attribute fields that a given user can see
>       in a given layer
>
> We could also imagine other rules based on scale, etc. The complete list
> of rules that would be supported remain to be determined in light of the
> use cases that will be provided by the partners of the project.
>
> For this we are considering the integration of DACS
> (http://dacs.dss.ca/what_is_dacs.html) in MapServer since this is what
> is used already by some of the partners in the project. DACS would be
> used to define rules that would be evaluated as MapServer is executing a
> request. However if possible we would like to setup a generic access
> layer on top of DACS so that other access control systems can also be
> integrated in the future.
>
> I am writing to ask the opinion of other PSC members on this, and
> perhaps get a motion of support for this feature from the PSC if there
> is enough interest. I realize that we cannot get a final commitment to
> integrate the feature in MapServer at this point, but at least we would
> like to know whether the PSC would be supportive of the idea... and then
> getting a formal motion of support could help our proposal.
>
> Also, if you or your organization has deployed OGC services with
> MapServer and has a need for this kind access control then we might be
> interested in hearing from you, possibly even to include your group as a
> partner in the proposal to define the use-cases that need to be
> supported, help with testing, etc. Of course financial support from
> interested parties would also be welcome since this is not a fully
> funded proposal.
>
> Looking forward to your feedback...
>
> Daniel

Daniel, one word:

Middleware, baby.

Okay, two words. Your customer's access control requirements are
probably going to be continually evolving, so keeping access control out
of MapServer means easier development and maintenance. And it keeps a
lot of complicated logic (needed by very few) out of the MapServer
application itself.

Cheers,
Sean

--