Access Control in MapServer

Sun Jan 21 14:18:25 EST 2007

Steve Lime wrote:
> I guess you can't do that level of access control outside of MapServer
> can you. I
> ok with this even if it's not terribly high priority personally.
> ACCESS...END

Some level of access control can be done outside of MapServer, but not
everything. For instance WMS layer level restrictions are easy to
implement in a wrapper that simply checks the LAYERS=... parameter of a
WMS request and denies the request if an unauthorized layer is requested.

However, things like attribute or bbox filtering can hardly be done
outside of MapServer, e.g. users from group X can only access features
from layer L that match expression "AUTH_GROUP = X", or users from group
Y can only access features inside a given BBOX or that intersect with a
given polygon.

Of course one could create separate layers for each class of users and
then simply do layer-level access control in a wrapper. That's the kind
of workarounds they use now, but when the number of
users/groups/restrictions combinations increase, the number of layers
become harder to manage and they are looking for something more
integrated and more powerful.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/