Status of AGG support?

Wed Jul 4 11:47:42 EDT 2007

Hi Zak,

Thank you and the others for all the responses. I got it working this
morning:

http://imaptools.com/agg-test.html

I have a few questions and observations:

The OL app above has two base layers. Both use the same mapfile, except
one supports AGG and is using 5.0 and the other is using 4.10.

1) Notice the white lines in the water boarding some of the polygons.
What is causing that? How do you get rid of these?

2) If you switch between 4.10 and 5.0 AGG base layers notice that the
road widths change. What is causing this? I assume this is the same
issue as the polygons above.

3) If you zoom in to 15K scale of closer so street names are displayed
the text looks really bad on text ALIGN FOLLOW labels. And the text is
much bolder and blacker than the 4.10 example.

more below ...

Zak James wrote:
> Steve,
>
> In our testing, the AGG renderer is about 10% faster than GD over a
> variety of conditions. One caveat is that the sub-pixel positioning of
> vertices (which greatly improves the appearance of features) can cause
> far longer rendering times if suitable overview data aren't available
> for a given scale. We discussed but did not implement strategies for
> mitigating this problem.

I think that discussion should get added to the RFC. If I wanted to
provide my own overview data what are we talking about. Just having
generalized data? Any rule of thumb on when you need to provide this?

> Another issue is that the antialiasing tends
> to cause larger image file sizes.

There really is not much that you can do about this. It will impact on
bandwidth and tile repository sizes.

-Steve