Status of AGG support?

Paul Spencer pspencer at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Wed Jul 4 15:57:15 EDT 2007

Steve,

I'm not sure I follow why this is a problem for using AGG to render
text into the existing GD buffer?  How is rendering glyphs different
from the existing strokes and fills that are used to do lines and
polygons using AGG?

My understanding is that AGG reads the glyph vector geometries
directly using FreeType and rasterizes the text using its own
routines rather than the FreeType rasterizer.  Also, it is my
understanding that 'halo' text can be achieved relatively easily by
rendering the stroke in the outline colour, possibly with some
interesting effects to make the halo larger etc.

Also, AGG uses sub-pixel placement, which would make the labels in
FOLLOW mode substantially better (by fixing the jitter effect in
nearly straight lines).

I think that this, and potentially nicer halos, would make a
substantial improvement to overall text quality.

Paul