Motion to move Feature Freeze to July 23rd

Tue Jul 10 16:36:44 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> Personally I think of a RFC as exactly what you describe as developer
>> docs. I think it should be a requirement of a RFC to contain enough
>> information and examples for users to be able to use it, so if you
>> have a specific RFC in mind that doesn't contain enough information
>> then perhaps this RFC needs an update.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, I'm not against better organized dev docs, but
>> we'd need a volunteer to take the lead on that... and at least in the
>> meantime we have RFCs.
>
> Steve,
>
> I'm kind of with Daniel on this.  In particular, I don't want a new
> class of intermediate developer generated documentation to manage.  I
> think we should either "put it in the RFC" or draft it directly into the
> final documentation.
>
> Best regards,

Frank, Daniel,

This is fine with me, my goal is not to generate more work, but to get
the work that we are doing documented. As I tried to point out, the docs
(where ever we put it) will make reviewing, testing, and site doc much
easier and more complete.

In particular, the AGG stuff was not documented by the developers (and
it is a very cool feature), and Steve seems to be after the fact piecing
that together. And I have not been able to reproduce the results the
Assefa was getting so I'm not sure what is happening with that. I'll
give it another try tonight if I get a chance.

In fact there was just a question raised about where FORMATOUTPUT
options should be documented. These might need to be documented to
multiple places like the graphics drivers and for example AGG RFC
because the options have direct behavioral impact on configuring and
using the AGG options.

I realize that a lot of the changes that we have made in 5.0 have been
internal but there has been a lot of discussion on changes the break
backwards compatibility. I have not checked all the RFC but I do think
some/all? of that has made it into the migration.

I like the idea I think Daniel suggested of having a "User Doc" section
of the RFC, that would describe the UI options and contain Examples.

Anyway, I hope this sounds reasonable, I am trying to test some of the
features and and I figure if I can't figure it out easily, then it will
be way beyond most of our users.

-Steve W