source code layout and organization

Wed Jun 6 01:04:47 EDT 2007

Typically one runs configure from the top level directory so Makefile.in, configure.in and so
on should probably live there along with the high level docs. I don't know where it makes
sense to create lib and bin directories. Creating in svn simplifies the Makefile a bit.

I like the idea myself but don't sense a lot of interest from others...

Steve

>>> "Kralidis,Tom [Burlington]" <Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA> 05/29/07 1:21 PM >>>
How about:

mapserver
 bin/ (the output binaries)
 lib/ (libmap.a, anything else?)
 src/
  mapscript/
 tests/

- I'm guesssing bin/ and lib/ would not be part of the svn, rather
created when building?

- could README and INSTALL live in the root, and config files, etc. live
in src/?

..Tom