MS RFC 28: Redesign of LOG/DEBUG output mechanisms

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Jun 15 15:41:12 EDT 2007

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Hi Dev's,
>
> I have prepared a first version of MS RFC 28 that proposes a cleanup of
> the LOG/DEBUG output mechanisms while keeping things simple (I like
> simple) and not breaking too much existing code:
>   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-28
>
> Comments welcome... and expect two more RFCs from me today...

Daniel,

I like it.

I am somewhat conflicted about "DEBUG ON" not being enough to enable
actual debug output.  I think it is unfortunately that this and the
MS_ERRORFILE setting will be required.  I'd suggest that we should have
MS_ERRORFILE default to "stderr" which is roughly the behavior now for
msDebug() if built into the binaries.  But then we are likely to have a
lot of error noise showing up in the logs that perhaps does not belong.

Keeping the error file handle in the error context should address
multithreading just fine as I believe you and Tamas have already
concluded.

I like Tamas' idea of an MS_ERROFILE windowsdebug option on windows.

Potentially we could offer a syslog option on unix that is roughly
analygous though I don't feel any compelling need for this.

I would be happy to review the raster related msDebug() calls and set
appropriate error levels.

I assume that DEBUG=MSDEBUG will disappear from the version string, since
debugging will always be compiled in?