MS RFC 28: Redesign of LOG/DEBUG output mechanisms

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Fri Jun 15 14:30:54 EDT 2007

Folks -

It would be helpful if it were possible to turn DEBUG ON right from the
start, so debug/log messages could be generated during the loading and
parsing of the map file.

Quite a while ago I spent some time trying to optimize my configuration, and
couldn't quite reconcile what seemed to be fairly rapid layer rendering with
rather slow map output.  I then realized that I was using overly-complex map
files and 2/3rds of my overall run time was being consumed by loading and
parsing the map file so I could turn DEBUG ON.

I suspect there are others who could benefit from logging during map file
little reluctant to suggest that the presence of the MS_ERRORFILE variable
should trigger it, as I suspect users might find that a little awkward and
leave it on when they don't intend it.

     - Ed