MS RFC 29: Dynamic Charting Capability

Wed Jun 20 14:05:43 EDT 2007

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:

> - does this assume a POLYGON data type input only (I would see this to
> work on any data type)

The current implementation works only for polygon data sources.

I could extend it to work on point data sources as well fairly easily I
think.

I'm not sure about line data sources though. I guess we could do like we
do for ANNOTATION layers and use msPolylineLabelPoint() to determine the
location of the chart.

> - would a LAYER of type CHART be exposed to the OGC interfaces (WMS
> would work, but what would the behaviour be for, say, WFS)?

I think they should be supported for WMS like any other layer.

With respect to WFS they would not be visible.

> - what would a legend response look like?

Looks like a polygon legend: small rectangle color sample with label for
each class.

> - would CLASS/EXPRESSIONs help here, in terms of classifying (I'm
> unclear on how CLASS/STYLE/SIZE works)

No. In the current implementation class expressions are of no use and
all classes are used for each chart. This is different from regular
vector layers where only the first matching class is used, based on
expression.

One can use a FILTER in a layer to filter which shapes get a chart.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/