MS RFC 29: Dynamic Charting Capability

Thu Jun 21 00:06:19 EDT 2007

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>>
>> This looks like a nice addition. I think there would be some value to
>> supporting variable substitution in CHART_SIZE = [size]
>>
>> This would allow you to show the relative size of hits at a point and
>> have the chart show the percentage contributions in the wedges.
>>
>> for example total cars sold at a dealer, %ford, %gm, %honda, %nissan
>>

> Um... that would be a nice feature, but currently attribute binding is
> for STYLE and LABEL only but not for PROCESSING directives, and I'm not
> sure that we want to start adding attribute binding everywhere either.
> I'd rather leave this one as a potential enhancement for a future
> release unless this is considered critical.

Critical, probably not, but a lot of the nice charts I have seen using
thematic pie charts do just that. May be it would be appropriate to move
size out of the processing directives and make it more like symbol size.
Yeah, I can see this is a tough one. Well I'll support whatever you
decide and if you go the extra mile on this I would be happy to owe you
a few extra cold and frosty ones :)

-Steve