MS RFC 22a: Feature cache for long running processes and query processing (update)

Howard Butler hobu.inc at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 24 21:37:00 EDT 2007

Tamas,

I think the proposal is a pretty cool solution, and I especially like
that for the most part it behaves like any other layer.  I have a few
questions/concerns:
- The proposal really continues our path to PROCESSING option
hell :)  It would be nice if we could somehow make the parser not
cough over (new) things it doesn't recognize (too late to go back in
time to do that though).  I have no problem with what is proposed,
this is just more a comment on our current free-form, alternative
universe of mapfile syntax we have going on.
- The proposal doesn't state whether or not a cache layer will
participate in the connection pool.  Is the handle to a cache layer
intended to be kept alive like other connection handles across
requests (ala FastCGI or some sort of always-on MapScript stuff)?
Would it be reasonable to keep a connection handle to the
"datasource" of all of the cache layers in the connection pool and
then pull out references to already active cache layers?
- Is there any chance we would ever serialize a cache layer to disk?
- Will we ever do raster layer caching?  If so, MS_CACHE may not be
what we want for a name for the enum...
- I would be interested in exploring the consequences of sub layers
for MapServer layers.  Are these only to be cache layers, or could
they potentially be *any* layer type?
   -- Also, are the sub layers references or copies (ala RFC 24)?

I admit I was pretty hesitant to have this go into the 5.0 release,
but most of that was being unsure of what was proposed.  After
reading through the proposal and patches, I think this will be a
great addition for 5.0, even if it might not be fully baked and
refined until 5.2 or 5.4.

Howard