Google Summer of Code Ideas

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Mar 9 16:54:41 EST 2007

Jan Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Daniel,

> However, I would not like to get into a row with Google;
> I would be very much in favour of delivering a "proof of concept" of the
> first option, not only how it can be done technically, but also how it
> can be realised without putting a strain on Google's servers.

Jan,

I think google has made it clear this exceeds their terms of use and that
they are bound by agreements with (at least some of) their data providers
not to allow it.  I am unwilling to have OSGeo participate in an effort
that is of such questionable legality, and I most certainly don't want to
ask them to pay for the work via SoC!

There have already been some WMS on Google Maps proof of concepts, so I
don't think any more proof is necessary.