MapServer 5.0 release plan

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Fri Mar 16 18:43:12 EDT 2007

Daniel,

I think it's awesome that you found someone who wants to pay to fix
bugs, especially mundane (but important) ones like converting to
mapogr.c.  Where do these mythical beneficiaries exist and do they
have more? ;)

My opinion is that we let AGG support hold up the 5.0 release until
it is workable enough to be out there in the wild.  Premium
cartographic output is enough of a draw (sorry) for folks coming to
MapServer that they will be willing to put up with its quirks to get
it.  I'd also like to see the dust settle on RFCs 19 and 24, because
IMO a major version release is the one time I think we can get away
with it.

I like these dates as good targets.  I think to get serious about a
5.0 release we should start having at least monthly IRC developer
meetings to prioritize stuff and see where everyone is with their
developments.

re: #2 Does this happen at the mapserver, GDAL/OGR, or Proj level?
re: #4 Would libxml2 be in the cards for this, or would we continue
on the current path?
re: #6.  IIRC, the OGR C API doesn't have full support for the
styling stuff, which was one of the things holding up our migration
to mapogr.c.  Will there be some changes in the OGR C API as well?

Howard