request for comment: adding xslt processing to mapserver

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Fri Mar 23 13:20:59 EDT 2007

Paul Spencer wrote:
> MapServer devs ...
>
> DMSG has a contract with Environment Canada/Tom Kralidis to implement
> some changes to the Sensor Observation Service.
>
> Part of this contract is to write a technical report on the
> feasibility of introducing the ability to transform XML coming out of
> MapServer's various OGC interfaces (specifically WMS GetFeatureInfo,
> WFS GetFeature and SOS GetObservation) using an XSLT directly in
> MapServer.  I (with help from Assefa) have prepared a draft of this
> report structured more-or-less like an RFC.
>
> One of the requirements is to 'gauge the reaction of the TSC to this
> proposal', which is the purpose of this email. If the general
> feedback from you is positive, I believe Tom will then submit this as
> an RFC for approval and, if approved, will seek funding to implement
> the changes.
>
> Please give the attached proposal a read over and let me know:
>
> * would you be for or against this capability being introduced into
> mapserver?
>
> * if against, would any rewording or additional detail change your mind?
>
> * is there enough technical detail in the proposal?
>
> * is there anything obvious missing (I know I may have missed some
> files that would need to be modified)?
>
> * any other comments?
>
> I know this is last minute, but the report is due for mid next week
> so getting your feedback ASAP is highly desirable.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul

I like it :) I'd like it even more if this kind of application
configuration was cleanly separated from the cartographic configuration
-- new keywords instead of adding new powers to existing ones.

Cheers,
Sean

--
Sean Gillies