RFC 26 - MapServer Terminology Cleanup

Fri May 4 12:06:37 EDT 2007

Not sure about the "1:..." prefix. Sounds cool but just adds complexity
to the code and docs and doesn't bring any functional benefit so I would
say we stick to scale denominators.

I reviewed the RFC and I like what you propose for both scale and
opacity. Sounds like a neat solution to this termiology problem.

Perhaps one little change: since we're breaking compatibility anyway, we
might as well force users to align to the correct terminology and NOT
keep the deprecated TRANSPARENCY and SCALE in the parser. Instead, make
those keyword issue a fatal parsing error saying something like:

"Keyword TRANSPARENCY has been renamed OPACITY in MapServer 5.0. Please
update your mapfile."

Same for the other keywords, we could keep that error message around for
a few releases. This way even users that don't read the migration guide
would know right away what's going on.

Finally, I agree with the need for a Migration Guide for 5.0 to document
this kind of changes (like we had for 4.0 and 4.10). I have started a
5.0 migration guide doc in the "Development/Release Plans" area of the
website:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/release_plans/migration_guide_410_50

Daniel

--