pre rfc draft on rendering

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Nov 13 14:05:04 EST 2007

thomas bonfort wrote:
> hi all,
> I'm currently looking at cleaning up / avoiding code duplication /
> easier additions / etc... for the rendering side of mapserver. I've
> put up some working notes at
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/UnifyingTheRenderingInterfaces
> and would like to hear your comments/suggestions/flaming/etc...
>
> thomas

Thomas, I like your proposition mainly because this would allow an
easier maintenance/upgrade of the different renderers by removing
duplicated code.
Looking into how this would  fit with existing swf, pdf, svg outputs,
there are a couple of points that I am not sure how they would work:

  simple case is for example swf and pdf drivers use the GD driver to
draw the rasters into a temporary image and integrate them in their
"document". Would that be possible in this architecture? Mainly I think
would the different renderers be able to redefine "high level" functions
such ad DrawRasterLayer ?
I have started taking notes on how the different interface functions
proposed would fit with the swf, pdf and svg and I am willing to put
some time toward this if we generally agree to go forward with the
proposition.
  Thanks for taking the time to draft this.

Best Regards,

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca