MS-RFC-35 - Solving the WMS STYLES parameter issue

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Nov 14 11:41:01 EST 2007

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
> Tom,
>
> I was thinking the same thing last week.
>
> Why introduce a mechanism which can be misused in the future, if it
> can be as simple as making styles optional again.
>
> Best regards,
> Bart
>
> On Nov 14, 2007 1:26 PM, Kralidis,Tom [Burlington]
> <Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> One final thought here :) would it be easier to revert to making STYLES
>> an optional parameters rather than introduce a new user directive, given
>> that STYLES= will be optional in the future?

Tom,

Well, we only wrote this whole RFC because we were under the impression you
want to be able to enforce the standard to the letter.  If you are happy to
just make it optional again, then I for one would be happy to set aside
the RFC and just do that.  But I think Daniel made the motion so it would
be up to him to retract it.

But I do feel like I was put on a treadmill somewhat needlessly.