OGR Autostyling and other providers, styling RFC?

Mon Nov 19 17:26:43 EST 2007

Tamas Szekeres wrote:

> But my other problem related to this is that the style info is
> assigned to the features but we cannot utilize layer level styles at
> the data source. Therefore loading the styles happens in that time
> when the features are actually drawn and the last loaded style is
> preserved at layer level. Currently I have approx 3000 OGR layers with
> syle info but I guess all of them use the same style for each feature
> actually. This behaviour causes some known issues (like the problems
> around rendering those layers in the legend) that have been been
> discovered early but haven't been addressed yet.

FYI Tamas, "styles at the layer level" was part of the original "OGR
Feature Style" design but was never implemented... so if we want to go
that route we got a bit more work to do, both in OGR and MapServer.

Using a style table at the layer level and linking features to styles by
style-id is an extremely powerful way to do rendering. Combine style
tables with the concept of priority levels and you can do even more
powerful things. We had implemented that approach in a cartographic
editing software in a previous life before my webmapping days and that's
why I had included section 2.7 in the OGR Feature Style document
(http://gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html)... but as I wrote above
this was never implemented in OGR.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/