OGR Autostyling and other providers, styling RFC?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Nov 20 01:46:45 EST 2007

Steve Lime wrote:
> You can do some per feature styling using separate items using the attribute binding
> approach introduced in 5.0. It requires multiple items but also allows for some things
> to be constant and others to vary by feature. Is that a possible work around?

Steve,

That only helps if folks with CAD or other "per feature styling information"
datasources are willing to do a great deal of preparatory work in something
like FME to turn the styling information into something acceptable to
MapServer.

In fact, the user in question was initially talking with me about writing
a utility to do this, but it seems like it was going to be very difficult
to do well, and of course all the logic was duplicating logic already in
the OGR autostyling to mapserver styles logic already in mapserver.