Codes of Italian reference systems

Diego Magni diego.magni at POLIMI.IT
Fri Nov 23 10:23:38 EST 2007

Dear List,

I'd like to point out a problem about id codes of Italian spatial
reference systems "Monte Mario / Italy zone 1" and "Monte Mario / Italy
zone 2", adopted by Proj library.
How confirmed also by Spatial Reference
(http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/x/ , x = 3003/3004 ,
102091/102092), the definition of those systems within the epsg lookup
file of MapServer is given by the ESRI codes 102091 and 102092.
Instead, the EPSG service identifies them by the codes 3003 and 3004
respectively.
This could be a bit awkward, e.g. when a MapServer-based application
loads data from PostGIS, that uses EPSG 3003 and 3004 codes.
The problem can be solved by a trick, i.e. by duplicating 102091/102092
in the lookup file and assigning them the codes 3003 and 3004, not
associated to any reference system at the moment.
But, in my opinion, a compliance with the EPSG codes could be more suitable.

Is it planned a redefinition of those reference systems for further
releases of MapServer?
In case, will the EPSG codes replace the ESRI codes or will they coexist?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Diego Magni

--