Parallelizing calls to msDrawLayer()

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 13 03:45:28 EDT 2007

interresting idea...
the problem with this approach is that parralelizing the rendering is far
from being
a "free" operation:
- memory-wise, you have to allocate n-layers images to render each of them
seperately
- computationnaly wise, you have n-layers full image blending operations,
which is far
from being a light operation.

I've profiled the rendering of a 7 layer map setting each layer to 99%
opacity, which currently
means that the layer is rendered on a temp image and blended onto the map
image for each
layer ( this roughly simulates the operations that would happen if using
your approach,
except that we don't get some of the "free" blended pixels, i.e. pixels
whose opacity is 100%
and therefore are just replaced in the final image instead of composited ).
the result is that
50% of computing time is spent on the blending operations.

seeing this, we'd have to make sure that this non negligeable processing
supplement is
compensated by the overhead 'won' when doing the i/o for each layer.

tb