[Fwd: MS RFC xx: Performance improvements for labelcache and MINDISTANCE processing]

Sat Oct 13 23:08:37 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Since the threaded Rendering discussion got me thinking about this
again, I thought I would dig up the draft RFC that I put together for
Steve back in January and post it to the dev list in the hopes of
resurrecting this idea again. You can search the dev list for Subject:
"Label Cache Performance" to reread the thread on this.

Why should we care?

Well, label intensive maps can spend >50% of their time processing the
label cache. The current processing appears to be an O(N*N) process,
this proposal would change it to be an O(N) process which would
basically eliminate it as a major cost item when rendering maps. Simply
put this is low hanging fruit that would improve rendering performance
when labels are involved.

I am happy to support any dev that wants to tackle the coding on this
with algorithm support, defending the RFC, building data for test cases,
etc.

Best regards,
   -Steve