MapServer 5.0 WMS, requiring styles...

Howard Butler hobu.inc at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 14 01:00:02 EDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 5:26 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Steve Lime wrote:
>> Hi all: Is anyone else running into problems with clients and
>> requiring the
>> styles parameter? I'm putzing with Google Earth which doesn't seem
>> to send
>> that parameter which makes using 5.0-based WMS servers a bit
>> useless. Or am
>> I missing something with?
>
> Steve,
>
> I haven't run into this myself, but I have heard problems on IRC.
>
> I personally think it is wrong headed for us to require the styles
> parameter.  If we want to have a "pendantic" mode that requires it
> that
> would be find, but I don't see why we should require it by default
> regardless of what the standard might say.
>
> I would suggest we be permissive in what we require.
>
> I think this is something that ought to be "fixed" in 5.0.1.

I agree.  The benefit of enforcing this is negligible.  Same for
width and height too, frankly.  Do the CITE tests require these?

I would like to go back to being more lax about these, especially
when we can get reasonable defaults from the map file for width/
height and when styles= infers absolutely nothing to anyone.

Howard