Parallelizing calls to msDrawLayer()

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Sun Oct 14 12:14:26 EDT 2007

Dave -

I think the answer to your "what will be the net effect" is, "it
depends".  That's the problem - there's no unalloyed good here; some
scenarios would benefit, and some would be degraded.

If the "real-world I/O scheduler" simply re-serializes the requests
we've gone to some effort to parallelize, there won't be much gain.  And
I'm not nearly as confident as you that "real-world I/O schedulers"
really work that way.  My empirical (not analytical) experience is
otherwise.  You seem to be suggesting that the scheduler *knows* that
thread 2 is going to call NextShape again, so it will just wait for that
request and serve it rather than serving thread 3 - it might be good,
but it's not clairvoyant.

I still think it is important to understand just who the target user is
for this exercise.  Is this intended to be the user not interested in
careful data organization and hardware tuning, or the user who doesn't
want to know all that and just wants things to work faster out of the
box?  Many users don't have any NFS servers in their systems at all and
only read local disk data.  MapServer is used across a very wide
spectrum of usage scenarios, and I don't think that we (as a community)
have a very good understanding of what the "typical" MapServer system
looks like.

	- Ed