MapServer 5.0 WMS, requiring styles...

Håvard Tveite havard.tveite at UMB.NO
Tue Oct 16 09:43:30 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Steve Lime wrote:
>> Hi all: Is anyone else running into problems with clients and requiring the
>> styles parameter? I'm putzing with Google Earth which doesn't seem to send
>> that parameter which makes using 5.0-based WMS servers a bit useless. Or am
>> I missing something with?
>
> Steve,
>
> I haven't run into this myself, but I have heard problems on IRC.
>
> I personally think it is wrong headed for us to require the styles
> parameter.  If we want to have a "pendantic" mode that requires it that
> would be find, but I don't see why we should require it by default
> regardless of what the standard might say.
>
> I would suggest we be permissive in what we require.

In my opinion, being permissive should not be the default
behaviour.  A standard is a standard!

If this is a problem, I suggest that it could be "solved"
by letting the users explicitly specify "sloppy" behaviour
(in METADATA?).
In that case, I think we should use "pedantic" (or
preferably the more positive word "compliant" :-) ) as the
default mode of WMS server operation.

--
Håvard Tveite
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, UMB