MapGuide fork of AGG

Doyon, Jean-Francois jdoyon at NRCAN.GC.CA
Wed Oct 24 11:15:10 EDT 2007

PostgreSQL is released under a BSD license ... So you'd be safe, because
the binary components that you'd include with MapServer (as in MS4W for
example) would only inculde PostgreSQL stuff, and nothing PostGIS
specific.  PostGIS lives on the server only (AFAIK?).

If you were to distribute server-side components (a custom PostgreSQL +
PostGIS bundle?) then you might have some problems ...

J.F.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Developers List [mailto:MAPSERVER-DEV at LISTS.UMN.EDU]
On Behalf Of Dave McIlhagga
Sent: October 24, 2007 10:36
To: MAPSERVER-DEV at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-DEV] MapGuide fork of AGG

Good summary Frank.

I realize this is a bit of a tangent from the original discussion -- but
does anyone have an idea of where the line is vis-a-vis PostGIS since it
too is GPL? ie. if a proprietary solution built with MapScript is
distributed built on MapServer today AND PostGIS -- would that be in
violation of the license?

Dave