MapGuide fork of AGG

Paul Spencer pspencer at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Thu Oct 25 09:29:49 EDT 2007

Clarification for those of you not following the mapguide internals
list, Tom Fukushima announced yesterday that they are not actually
forking AGG because Thomas found a way that MapGuide could use AGG
without making any modifications (at this point).  They will be
sucking in a copy of AGG as they do with all other 3rd party
libraries but will not be maintaining local changes as a fork.

However, the general opinion now seems to be that the original
maintainer, Maxim Shemanarev, essentially created a fork in the
community at the time he relicensed AGG as GPL.  In practical terms,
Maxim has been committing to the 2.4 code as recently as 2007/09/05.
The 2.5 code was initially committed on 2006/10/09 and has had two
commits since it was created which seem to be keeping the two code
bases in sync only.  Personally, I think he was forced to create a
relicensed version of his code base when he signed with Scaleform and
has found a creative way to deal with it.  Unfortunately, he has
received a lot of bashing from the community for it because he seems
unable to speak about the change (NDA anyone?).

I think that as long as 2.4 meets our needs and there is no
development going into 2.5, there is no problem.  The problems will
start if 2.5 gets some development (that we need) or we (by which I
mean the geo community) have improvements to make and no where to put
them.

Cheers

Paul