KML output

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 21 06:01:31 EDT 2007

alessandro,

On 9/21/07, Alessandro Pasotti <ale.pas at tiscali.it> wrote:

> The project is GPL and now available for free (as in "beer").

if it's gpl, then that would also mean "as in speech" no?

> http://www.itopen.it/soluzioni/kml-map-server/

I saw your webpage and it looks pretty cool !

> Before putting further efforts in this project (that have many performance
> limitations with huge vector layers) an perhaps porting it to Mapserver 5, I
> wish to know if anybody is working in the implementation of this format
> directly in mapserver.

not to my knowledge. but given that google seems to be releasing a c++
kml library in the near future, I would suspect that getting mapserver
to use it isn't too far fetched if the license is compatible. I
suspect there wouldn't be many objections if you wanted to tackle that
;)

> I saw a few messages in this mailing list archives but it seems like nobody is
> now working on this.
>
> Also, do you think that a php mapscript solution make sense in the long run?

IMHO, having the support in the core makes more sense, as it opens up
many more usages

> BTW, I've tested MS 5 with AGG and it is really wonderful, you've done a very
> good job!

thanks!

tb